Guidelines for Website Usage
The Group and Website
- Canonn Research Group (also referred to as The Canonn) is an established player group and in-game faction in the Elite Dangerous universe comprising many players from across the world.
- We are focused on enjoyment and cooperation in-game, on this site, on Discord, or on the Frontier Forums.
- There are people here that only ever play Solo. There are people that only ever play in Open. There are people that only ever play in the Canonn Private Group, or any combination. There are PvP players and PvE players – all are welcome.
- Gender, race, religion, sexuality or nationality are of no importance to us.
- We are not concerned with any other factions or powers to whom you might belong, and you are not constrained to exclusively act for the Canonn.
- You must not engage in Power Play or PVP under the flag of the Canonn unless in defence of the Canonn or its members, unless otherwise specifically authorised.
- By registering with our group, you agree to remain respectful at all times to your fellow group members, both here, on the forums, in the game, and on Discord. That doesn’t mean you can’t disagree with people – it’s just about respect.
- We reserve the right to refuse or revoke access to this site, the group, and our Discord server without needing to give full justification.
- If, following ‘challenging’ interactions in-game between members in any environment (unprovoked attack, trolling, griefing or harrassment) and there is sufficient disagreement, either party could see their membership and access to our Discord be rescinded (put simply, “don’t be a dick”).
- Misrepresentation of our group on social media, on the Frontier Forums, Reddit, anywhere on Discord, or on other faction group sites could also lead to your membership being rescinded.
- We have a research policy which governs how we expect our ‘research’ of in-game mysteries to be shared by our members and associates (other groups or non-Canonn commanders). You must abide by these at all times in any of our communications channels.
- When you say you represent the Canonn, you’re also representing the many hundreds of other members. Our philosophy is fun and cooperation, not bullying, harrassment, trolling or griefing.
Discord and Private Group
- Access to our Private Group requires membership of our Discord server.
- Membership of the Canonn is not restricted to those with Private Group or Discord server access. You may elect only to hold membership of the Website if preferred (although your ability to communicate with other Canonn members outside of the game will be greatly reduced).
- Usage of all resources under the banner of the Canonn (Website/Discord/Private Group) should be respectful, considerate, fair and comply with all local and international legal requirements.
- Discussions on the outcomes/actions of “File dipping” or other EULA breaking activities will not be tolerated, and may result in loss of membership.
- Moderators/Council will discuss disputes and disagreements with members directly.
- Kicks/Bans – whether temporary or permanent – are only issued after considerable debate and by agreement. Where possible, such extreme action is avoided entirely.
- The Canonn Private Group (PG) is meant to be used for organised science. As such, all PVP performed within the PG must be consensual. Any griefing taking place within the PG will result in an immediate ban.
Council / Moderation
- The Canonn has a representative group of individual commanders called the Council that is appointed by self-nomination, having selected members of the community whom they feel best represent the interests of the group and the players within it.
- Key decisions affecting the group are made by a Quorum of the Council in pursuit of a consensual majority, or by the membership when the Council cannot agree that they represent the wishes of the group.
- Decisions affecting the group must be deliberated on for no less than 24 hours, and Council members should where possible accept the roles or tasks they have been entrusted.
- The Council will respond to all Issues and Complaints raised formally by group members.
- The Council members not only perform decision-making roles and (a form of) leadership for the group, but are also de-facto moderators of this site.
- Site moderators can delete and edit any content and can approve, remove and block users.
- A team of Discord moderators also exists who are charged with moderating the chat under the same guidelines of openness and fairness as the group overall.
- Both the group and this website are not-for-profit, and access/participation will always be free-of-charge. The website is maintained and developed specifically for the benefit of members of the group and the wider Elite Dangerous community.
- While we are not-for-profit, it does cost money to run – so please consider donating:
- The money goes straight to the site’s principal developer into a fund that is used to pay website costs, and for things like prizes, etc. Please don’t set up recurring payments (as much as that kind of support is very welcome!) as they don’t work on our PayPal account.
- Your data on this site will never be sold or shared with anyone. Ever.
- The Council/Moderators and Site Developer are able to view your email address, but it will never be published anywhere.
- Any person found to be misusing this information will be blocked and ejected from the group, and will be named and shamed.
- Your Username, Frontier Forum Name, CMDR Name and registered Discord Name will be displayed in our directory, accessible only to other registered and approved users.
- Your password is stored in our database in a way that ensures it can’t be reverse-engineered.
- The site uses SSL for your protection, however please consider online safety at all times and do not use a common password between different websites.
Elite Dangerous, Elite Dangerous: Horizons, Arena and any future seasons or products within this scope are all ©Frontier Developments Plc 1984 to present.