On the 20/07/3303 various commanders discovered a mission that was being given to individuals that docked at Obsidian Orbital in the Maia system. The mission was from Professor Palin, the mission required the taker to bring back a specific item from the Unknown Sites such as Unknown Resin, Biological matter, and Technology samples (Thargoid in origin) to Darnielles Progress/Obsidian Orbital. To get the mission you will need 2 or more cargo racks, CRCR are advised.
A visual guide by Obsidian Ant.
In Depth Guide by Factabulous
- Get the mission by landing at Obsidian Orbital in Maia – it appears in your inbox (like the Ram Tah mission). Note that the amount required, reward, item to collect and destination can all vary! There are reports of CMDRs not getting the mission, re-entering should fix this issue . You do not need to have unlocked Palin as an engineer.
- You will be asked to collect one of the below, referred to here as Unknown XXX:
- Unknown Biological Samples
- Unknown Resin
- Unknown Tech samples
- You will ideally have Corrosion Resistant Cargo Racks (CRCR) – as many as you can fit (the items you are asked to collect are corrosive). You can get them from Professor Palin if you have him unlocked as he is in Maia. You could use AFMUs instead, but it is more risky.
- If you don’t have a UA / UP or UL:
- Go to HIP 17694 B 7 F 17.9523 // -96.7690 – Unknown XXX should appear on scanner when you get close
- Note: The Unknown XXX objects have been reported to lie around outside at the Thargoid sites (around the rib-like structures), so you may not need access to the main structure. However the sites are large and you might not find what you want this way – alternative is to get a UA to enter the main structure (see below).
- If you do have a UA / UP or UL (or are willing to get one)
- You will need a UA or UP or UL to open the site. You only need one, not all three!. Note that these are corrosive and will damage your ship! UA is recommended as they are easiest to find. Info in spoiler if you need one.
- To find a UA: Easiest to find at the alien crash sites (which are not the same as the wreck sites!) Search First Page of the Canonn thread for ‘Alien Wreck’ or go to HIP 17403 Planet A 4 A Coord: -34.96 / -141.37. Alien Wreck markers are bugged so don’t bother trying to follow them to the wreck. UA can also be found floating in space.
- To find a UP: Seriously, use a UA instead, but if you insist: You need an ammonia world from particular locations – here – look for Degraded Emission [Threat 2] USS around it. Get to the distance in the 5th column, go to speed between 210 & 350 km/s (see this post) and wait (maintaining distance approximately) – will probably take at least 30 mins to spawn (other similar methods here, here and here). There has been speculation that wide angle scanners help. But probably not.
- To find an UL: Unknown Links (UL) are available only inside the place you are heading, so if you haven’t got one already you need a UA . There may be more up-to-date locations for UA / UP on the front page of the threadnaught
- You can find the Unknown objects at Active Unknown Structures (US) Thargoid sites around Merope – see https://map.canonn.technology/us/ – you need an ACTIVE (red on map) site! Nearest is PLEIADES SECTOR OD-S B4-1 Planet 2 A Coords 62.8175 // 137.8808 (US193)
- Land near the center, put the UA or UP (or UL) in the SRV and head inside (the object opens the doors. If the door doesn’t open you are either in the wrong place on the site or you are not at an active site). You should see Unknown XXX which you can take back to your ship. Remember you need to keep the UA / UP with you or the doors will not open.
- The Unknown XXX are illegal at Obsidian Orbital – either smuggle them in (avoid scans) or expect a large fine, which will wipe out a lot of your profits and yes, you can redo the mission, just re dock at Obsidian Orbital. Items, counts and return point appear random.
Big Thanks to Factabulous for permission to re-post this.
Credit to CMDR Mark for the Thumbnail Image.