The Unknown Artefacts as they were known back then were first found in 3301 within Military Threat 4 convoys are believed to be of alien origin, and are biological in nature. They scan any ship within 1km and were highly speculated to be related to the Thargoids, as of now, we can confirm this.
Video: Obsidian Ant introducing the Unknown Artefact/ Thargoid Sensor
THARGOID SENSOR PROPERTIES
The Thargoid Sensors were found in 3301. Many believed at the time that they were of alien and potentially Thargoid origin, this was confirmed in 3303 with the return of the Thargoids. The objects biological and organic In nature appear to scan your ship when you come in range to them (1000m / 1km). They also when jettisoned into space orientate themselves to face the Merope system. Where the first Barnacle was found.
TSs broadcast a complex audio signal. Part of the signal has been decoded. It is a highly stylized Morse code transmission consisting of blocks of 6 letters. When each pair of letters is taken as coordinates and each block is interpreted as a triangle the resulting diagram is a primitive drawing of the just scanned (i.e. your) ship. An example of this can be seen below:
The TS is also fairly dangerous. As like it’s more recent cousins the TP and the TL. it causes corrosive damage to your ship which can be fatal if you have it in your hold for a long duration of time, or you have more than 1. The TS as with the TP and TL will also begin to degrade in space if left for a long duration, this will end up destroying the TS.
The TS has also been found to have the ability to shut down stations, when sold to a black market. The only known way to repair and bring a station back online is with Meta Alloys which can be found at ripe Barnacle sites and can be bought at Darnielles Progress in the Maia system.
TSs can be found within a 135-150ly radius around the Merope system. This has come to be known as the UA shell ( Unknown Artefacts being there name at the time). In these systems a single TS will appear as salvage in most Anomaly Threat 4 Signal Sources. Usually a ASS will appear within a few minutes of arrival in the system but it has been known to take up to about 30 minutes. However they can also be found within Non-Human Signal Sources, be aware if there is an active Thargoid in the signal source, it may attack if you pick it up.
Our recommendation is that if you don’t find a TS (in a system that is the correct distance from Merope) within 10 minutes then try another system. As well as being found in Threat 4 Military convoys around the Pleiades. Here are a list of systems where UAs have been found, please note this may not be 100% accurate.
- Bast (Confirmed) – convoy TS
- Wolf 289 (confirmed) – convoy TS
- HR 1185 (confirmed) – salvage TS
- HR 1172 (confirmed) – salvage TS
- LHS 3006 (confirmed) – convoy TS
- Bolg (confirmed) – convoy TS
- Pleiades Sector IR-W D1-34 (confirmed) – salvage TS
- Pleiades Sector LC-V C2-9 (confirmed) – salvage TS
- Pleiades Sector RO-Q B5-1 (confirmed) – salvage TS
TSs are more easily found at the Unknown crash sites, ( Crash 2 and 3 ) scattered around the area.
TIPS FOR OWNERSHIP
- Generally a single TS is quite easy to care for, but you will have to be careful carrying more than a couple. The primary concern is the internal systems damage. Here are some tips to handle this:
- First and foremost keep an eye on your cargo hatch. If it fails in normal space you can usually recover any cargo that falls out, provided you notice. However if it fails in supercruise then you are out of luck.
- Carry one or more Auto Field-Maintenance Units. You need to keep your cargo hatch above 75-80% to prevent malfunctions.
- Carry some additional (less valuable) cargo so that if your cargo hatch does fail you won’t necessarily lose the TS.
Have a lot of modules. The more modules in your ship, the more the damage will be spread out and the less your cargo hatch will suffer.
- If you’re travelling long distance, jump quickly. From the time you arrive in a system you have 30 seconds until the first damage occurs. If you can scoop fuel (if necessary), find your next destination, and get to the jump countdown before the damage triggers, then you will avoid all damage in that system and get a new 30 second window in the next system.
If you’re carrying 3 or more TSs, you need to be lucky. More than two TSs hitting the cargo hatch simultaneously can cause it to malfunction even if it was at 100%.