The Unknown Link is a believed to be Thargoid object that can be found in Unknown Structure Surface Sites (“Active” ones) and they bear great similarities to the UP and the UA, Their physical appearance and interaction, makes them linked/preferably connected to the same race that produced the UA and UP.
They can be found within active structures in their own room, in what appears to be 3 pod like structures It drops from the ceiling if you have an Unknown Artefact in the cargo bay of your SRV. It is necessary in order to activate the Unknown Device inside a unknown structure.
WHAT CAN THEY DO?
Unknown Links can also be used to locate new Thargoid structures. After an Unknown Link has been jettisoned in space, you’ll be able to open one of the previous scanned messages in your notifications tab acquired from scanning the Unknown Device, The Unknown Link will react to each Signal and produce a audio code that when decoded gives the name of a system, when you travel to said system and drop the UL into space a again playing said message again, the UL will then point in the direction of a new Site by releasing a beam in the corresponding direction. Numerous sites have been found this way. The way people found out was through extensive mathematics, more can be read about the process at this forum post
TIPS FOR OWNERSHIP
- Generally a single UL is quite easy to care for, but you will have to be careful carrying more than a couple. The primary concern is the internal systems damage. Here are some tips to handle this:
- First and foremost keep an eye on your cargo hatch. If it fails in normal space you can usually recover any cargo that falls out, provided you notice. However if it fails in super-cruise then you are out of luck.
- Carry one or more Auto Field-Maintenance Units. You need to keep your cargo hatch above 75-80% to prevent malfunctions.
- Carry some additional (less valuable) cargo so that if your cargo hatch does fail you won’t necessarily lose the UL.
- Have a lot of modules. The more modules in your ship, the more the damage will be spread out and the less your cargo hatch will suffer.
- If you’re travelling long distance, jump quickly. From the time you arrive in a system you have 30 seconds until the first damage occurs. If you can scoop fuel (if necessary), find your next destination, and get to the jump countdown before the damage triggers, then you will avoid all damage in that system and get a new 30 second window in the next system.
- If you’re carrying 3 or more ULs, you need to be lucky. More than two ULs hitting the cargo hatch simultaneously can cause it to malfunction even if it was at 100%.
- As with the UA and UP they erode internal modules causing damage to your ship, this can be stopped with the corrosive resistant cargo racks from professor Palin. Be warned carrying all 3 objects without a CRCR ( Corrosive resistant cargo rack ) you will receive a significant amount of damage that may cause your cargo hatch to malfunction and lose the objects.
LOCATING A UL
Unknown Links have so far only been found at active Unknown structure sites that have access to the central room, and the additional sub-rooms that house the “UL dispensers”. Some of these locations Include ( A full list can be found here: )
|HIP 14909||2 A||-26.4561 // -27.4742|
|MEL 22 SECTOR ZU-P C5-1||4 A||-63.5266 // 8.0136|
|MEL 22 SECTOR NX-U D2-27||5 A||-39.7932 // -56.2540|
|MEL 22 SECTOR NX-U D2-31||3 A||-51.7229 // -110.0287|
|MEL 22 SECTOR YU-F B11-1||AB 5 A||-52.0061 // -5.6793|
|MEL 22 SECTOR UT-R C4-4||1 A||16.2444 // 25.5284|